Thursday, September 13, 2012

Pangnirtung, Nunavut

Pangnirtung Marina at Low tide

















It has been 10 years since my last visit to the Canadian arctic.  Last time, I had the opportunity to travel to Inuvik, NWT and all these years later, I find myself Pangnirtung, NU.  This place is so far away from it all that it is actually closer to Greenland than mainland Canada.

It is beautifully serene out here.  There is one more hamlet that is further north of here on Baffin island.  I am told that last week hunters had brought by a beluga whale that had been hunted by local hunters.  It is a shame that I wasn't here.

This morning was was very grey and cloudy but I don't think these pictures quite captured the colors and light that filtered through the foggy cloud. 

There is no bank here in a town of 1000 -1500 people, but there is a KFC/Pizza Hut express at the local grocery store.  It is very popular with the young kids.  There really aren't many other places to hang out at.

Just thought I'd share some pictures of my first day here.  Will try to post more in the coming days.  Internet is very slow :(.

-Nadia
Fresh snow on top of the mountain.

More snow

Local fish factory

View beyond the breakwater

In case you forget the name of the town

Very low tide...

No comments: